Thursday, November 27, 2014

I'm thankful for...

Today is Thanksgiving and I would like to spend some time to reflect on what I'm thankful for. I try to practice thankfulness every day... Yes, I said it. Thankfulness needs to be practiced. We tend to get so wrapped up in what's going on in our lives that we sometimes forget to take a step back and see how we have been blessed! I know that this is true for me so I try to set some time aside and focus on all that I've been blessed with. Some days are better than others but I do try.
First, I'm blessed with the best husband around! He is such a patient man and makes me feel loved each and every day. I've never been loved and taken care of this way and I am thankful, every day, that the Lord blessed me with such a kind and caring soul to help me through this journey.
I'm thankful for my family! My Mother, siblings and I went through a lot growing up... As a single parent of 3 children, my Mother struggled... Emotionally and financially. It wasn't easy for her to have to care for us on her own but she did it! And did it well!!! She raised 3 children to become 3 adults who have all become God-fearing, peace-seeking, caring individuals. My siblings and I could very well be one of the many statistics out there: single-parent home, no college education, minorities who turn to a life crime... We were on public assistance at one point. Those toy drives that you donate to every year? We were once the recipients of those toys... I remember waiting for my age group to be called so all the little girls could walk up to the stage and choose one doll out of all the dolls that had been donated. We were even homeless at one point... I remember living in a shelter and having to share our 'home' with others who were in the same situation we were in. This never, ever, deterred my Mom from her goal to raise her children to be good people. She set herself a goal and when my Mother does that, watch out!!!! It WILL get done! She was gonna get herself and her children out of that situation. She went back to school... She was gonna set an example for her children: when things get tough, you get tougher! Today, my Mom is a registered nurse! An R.N. who started by taking English classes, then moved on to CNA, then Home Health Aide, then LPN and ultimately an RN. She is the hardest, most caring woman I have ever met! That's why she's the best nurse around!!!! All three of her children are college graduates who have successful careers.So, I sit here today with a smile on my face as I type this because we were blessed with the best childhood, the best circumstances, the best life!
I'm thankful for my family and my in-laws! I have such a great group of people who I can call my family! I have a sister and brother from my Dad's side that live in Puerto Rico who I love with all my heart!!!! We haven't been able to spend as much time together as I would like, but we are blessed to have a great relationship and great communication. They are both such a delight to be around. I hope that one day, maybe one day, we could spend more time together. Ten days to two weeks every 4-5 years is not fair... But, I am thankful for technology and the advantages that come with it because I can text with them almost on a daily basis :)
I am thankful that I became an official Tia (Aunt) this year!!!!!! I prayed for that and God answered my prayer with the most beautiful, gentle, pink and cuddly baby girl in the world!!!! I pray the Lord guides me in being a good role model for her.
This is what I try to focus, and think about, on my tough days... Those days that take the wind out of you... The days when you feel you just can't do anything right. On those days I focus on this. On the people that I have been blessed with. On all the love these individuals bring into my life. The joy and smiles they bring to me! That's better than anything else in the whole world! My family gives me purpose and the drive to be better.
So today, and every day, I am thankful to be blessed with a group of people who love me just as I am and are there for me at any given time to encourage me, to hold me, to love me! I pray that I can be the same solace for them cause I would give my last breath for any one of them!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment